Click to email me
11th October 2005
|Tourist Information Office, Priory Row||Priory Gardens|
|Trinity Church with bombed Cathedral behind it||Priory Gardens|
|Priory Gardens||Old Cathedral bombed by Germans in Blitz during WW2|
|Section of old Cathedral showing remains of burnt stonework||Bayley Lane, Cathedral on left and St Mary's Guildhall on right|
|Original door on old Cathedral||
St Mary's Guildhall courtyard. Served as a prison to Mary Queen of Scots and HQ for Henry VI in the War of The Roses.
|St Mary's Guildhall Courtyard||Guildhall main chamber. Shows Roundhead Armour from Civil War|
|Room off main chamber, Guildhall. Table in here dates from 1610||Oak fireplace in room off main chamber|
Main chamber large stained glass windows, opposite side has similar
The main window at the end of the Guildhall main chamber
|Golden Cross public house, Pepper Lane dated 1583||
Medieval Street. Spon Street.
Unfortunately some of the buildings are covered on Kebab signs and are not really worthy of images of England's Middle Ages. This one is better.
|Spon Street looking towards town end|
St Mary's Guildhall. One of the finest mediaeval guildhalls in England, it stands on the other side of Bayley Lane from the ruins of Coventry Cathedral and has stood at the heart of Coventry since the 1340s. The Great Hall dates from the late 14th and early 15th century and houses a fine tapestry dating from 1500. The Mary Queen of Scots Room is so named because of the imprisonment of the Scottish Queen here in 1569. It also has associations with George Eliot and William Shakespeare.
Cathedral. Coventry’s earliest cathedral, dedicated to
St Mary, was founded as a Benedictine community by Leofric, Earl of Mercia, and
his wife Godiva in 1043. Built on the site of a former religious house for
nuns, its sheer size is some indication of the wealth which Coventry acquired in
the middle ages. In 1539, with the dissolution of the monasteries, the See of
Coventry and Lichfield was transferred to Lichfield and the former cathedral
fell into decay. Only in 1918 was the modern diocese of Coventry created in its
own right, and the church of St Michael designated as its cathedral. The
majority of the great ruined churches and cathedrals of England are the outcome
of the violence of the dissolution in 1539. On the night of 14 November 1940,
the city of Coventry was devastated by bombs dropped by the Luftwaffe. The
Cathedral burned with the city, having been hit by several incendiary devices.